TOURNAMENT RULES - UPDATED for 2022
NORTH YORK STORM GIRLS HOCKEY LEAGUE - TOURNAMENT RULES
1. Rule posted on the website on Thursday, November 3, 2022 shall supercede any other notice(s) provided.
2. CHA and OWHA rules shall apply. Decisions of the tournament committee are FINAL.
3. The OWHA minimum suspension guidelines will be strictly enforced. All suspensions will be enforced according to the most recent OWHA Constitution, By-laws, and Regulations & Rules.
4. In the case of any discrepancy in the schedule or scoring between the Google Sheet and RAMP – the Google Sheet will be considered as the source of the truth.
5. Game times:
U15 BB, U13 BB, U11: 12-12-12 stop time.
ALL OTHER DIVISIONS: 15-15-15 stop time.
IF THERE IS A SPREAD OF 5 or more Goals the Game will be RUNNING TIME and will CONITNUE TO BE RUNNING TIME UNTIL THE GOAL SPREAD is less than 5.
6. There will be a 2-minute warm up period prior to each game. The clock will be set for 14 or 17 minutes (depending on the division) and will continue to run until the first stoppage of the game. Discretion to remove warm up period by tournament convenor.
7. All teams MUST be available to play 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of any game.
8. Players will tap gloves after the game once the officials give the go ahead. At the discretion of the officials and/or tournament convenor.
7. One-30 second time out will be allowed only during Elimination games, Quarter Final, Semi-Final and Final games only.
8. A maximum of 17 skaters and 2 goalies may be registered with each team.
9. A player may only participate with one designated team in the tournament and may only participate in one tournament on any date.
10. Teams will be awarded 2 points for a WIN, 1 Point for a TIE and Zero Points for a LOSS.
11. Standings after the round robin will be calculated on the basis of the points awarded as per rule #11. In the event of a tie the following criteria will be used to break the tie.
Number of Wins.
Winner between the tied teams when they played Head to Head (not applicable in a 3 way tie)
Goals +/- = Difference between Goals For and Goals Against (see rule #12)
Fewest goals against
Most goals for
Coin Toss (at the discretion of the Tournament Convenor)
Following the tie Breaker Rules in order. Once a Tie Breaker rule has been used or is not applicable, it cannot be used again
12. A MAXIMUM OF 5 GOAL SPREAD WILL BE USED in the calculation of team GF/GA's for each game. For example: if a team wins 8-0 then the GF/GA for these two teams would be 5/0 and 0/5 respectively.
13. Elimination Games, Quarter Finals, Semi-Finals and Finals are played to a Winner. These games are explicitly listed on the schedule. In the event of a tie at the end of regulation time a SUDDEN VICTORY 5 MINUTE overtime will commence. Teams will play 3 on 3 for this 5 minute over time (unless one or both teams are serving a penalty). AT NO TIME WILL THERE BE LESS THAN 3 PLAYERS AND A GOALIE PER TEAM ON THE ICE. Goalies can be pulled in this 5-minute overtime for an extra player! If still tied at the end of overtime a SHOOTOUT will commence.
14. SHOOTOUTS: Teams do NOT switch ends for Overtime or Shoot Outs. Any player serving a penalty at the end of the overtime will NOT be eligible to participate in the Shoot Out and must remain in the penalty box for the duration of the Shootout. All Players, except Shooters and Goalies, will be on the bench. Once a player has shot, they will proceed to the penalty box. Shooters from both teams will shoot simultaneously, starting at center ice. After 3 designated shooters from each team, if still tied, each team will designate one shooter at a time until there is a winner. A player may not shoot for a second time until all players on the game sheet (except goalies) have shot.
15. Flooding of the ice will occur at the end of each game and/or between 2nd/3rd period for longer games; and can be deferred at the Tournament Committee’s discretion.
16. Home Teams for all games (including all elimination games) are pre-set on the schedule.
17. Home teams must wear light coloured jerseys. In the event of a conflict the Home team must change their jerseys. Visiting Teams must advise the Home team of any conflict 30 minutes prior to game time.
18. The decisions of the Tournament Committee are final with no appeals.
19. Neither the North York Storm Girls Hockey League nor any tournament organizers or official is liable or responsible for acts of god and unforeseen events causing the cancellation of any part or whole of this event.
20. Neither the North York Storm Girls Hockey League nor any tournament organizers or official is responsible for lost or stolen items. It is highly recommended that each team bring a dressing room lock to all arenas. 21.
21. Championship Awards and Medals may be Presented Off-ice if deemed by Tournament Officials due to time constraints and will be presented at a determined location as required. We thank you for your support in this matter.
22. GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS